Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Moments of Panic


I've started to catalogue my days traveling in different ways (moments of laughter, sounds, smells, new people I meet) and I'd like to add one to the list: Moment of possible freak out. Because there have been a few. Really? Oh yes. Well, mind you, traveling is scary and you are faced with your worst fears all the time. They come directly to the surface and tap you on the shoulder constantly: getting lost, no one understanding you, not being able to get home quickly. The list goes on and on.

These freak outs are usually things you never ever share with another human soul because of the absolute ridiculousness that lies within, or you proclaim your misfortune to others so they may learn from your example and laugh at you. Or with you as the case may be here:

1.) At Lucy's wedding I was standing in the back against the bar and listening to the speeches. As my mind drifted off to some past and present whats and hows of my own life, a man ran up to me and hitting the back of my head said (in a British accent of course): "Lady, lady - your head is on fire." And thus it was. My hair was put up but had somehow, unbeknown to me, started to un-bobbypin itself and make it's way to a candle on the bar and did go up in flames. Now, ironically, I didn't panic. At this point, not much surprises me and it all happened so quickly. I was more embarrassed than anything really. And so I moved on quickly to giving my speech and ignoring the fact that it may have looked like I had a snarly little dog hanging from the back of my head.

As the night progressed, I met many nice people and had many nice conversations, which at some point were usually interrupted by the other person saying: "Do you smell that? It smells like something is burning again."

To which, I would respond every so calmly: "No, I don't smell a thing." And continued to ask them questions, taking a step back and standing with my head tilted away from the general direction of their nose.

Now yes, I was of course a little worried about my hair. It's long. I like it that way. I call it my California. But do watch what you ask for: while it was driving me nuts all morning, I joked that I just wanted to cut it all off. And in fact, I got a little of what I asked for. The next morning at 6am, with 3 hours of sleep, I woke up to the hideous smell and reminder of the candle/bar incident. It's one of the worse smells and FYI for future reference of your own - I brushed it out, I washed it - this smell, it does not go away.

So, I did what naturally any human would do: I freaked out a little (insert melodramatic gestures, moans, and cries - and for fun, a British accent)... "My hair! My long hair! Oh good God! Why me? Maybe I'll have to get a short haircut and go back to the days as a freshman at Rochester looking like an immigrant boy! My life is ruined! Maybe people sitting next to me in my travels would have to move disgusted of the smell and I'll make no friends! Maybe they will smell it when I go through airport security. Of course, of course they will. And they will question me, and I won't be able to get though. Who would believe my story? Maybe they'll get the dogs!"

So drowsily, with no one to listen or encourage my personal rampage, I calmed down and before dragging my bags down the stairs to the train, I drowsily went to the bathroom and quickly, cut off about an inch or so from the bottom of my hair - smelling the ends as I went to ensure total removal.

Three days later, having passed through airport security and making friends on the plane (no dogs having sniffed me), I think the smell is mostly gone. And I like my new cut. And I will never stand with my back to a bar that has candles. Or just in case, I never wear hairspray. And if all fails and this happens again, please next time let the old second grade lesson of "stop, drop, and roll" be the first thing that comes into my head.

Thank you to the man with the purple glasses who ran to my head and to the young bar staff who, for the most part, kept a good, laughing secret all night. We all now have a new story to tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment