Friday, May 20, 2011

Day Two: Tottenham Hale, London

In the Blink of an Eye: Houseboat anchored to the bank of the River Lee
Within Ear shot: Coot (bird) asking me not to come near his newborns
Nose Sniffing: The perfume from a big tree with bright yellow leaves
Hand Grazed: Green paint chipping off bridge overlooking a canal lock
And Still Savoring: Rosemary and thyme brined chicken Aunt Doreen made for dinner.

Fear

A funny thing

Eh

That

Taking us unknowingly by the hand

Leading us somewhere we didn’t

Nope

We didn’t quite want to

Want to go

Or perhaps

Maybe

Making us sit down

Down

Down

When we had meant to stand up

Up

Up

Convincing us outright

To run away

Far far away

From the one we love

So sorry

Or battle a country we had thought as friend

Too bad

We can

Yep

Unwrap it like a candy

This fear

Give it a taste and go on our way

Yum

Yum

Or turn it into a ball of

Of

Of

Twisted rubberbands

Overlapping

Colorful

Beautiful even

Oh the stories we can tell ourselves

Tangling us with tension all the live long day

Long

Long

I’m afraid you will leave me

Also scared that I’ll get sick

Then what

Whispering

I wish I wasn’t alone

Or that the garbage truck didn’t come

Or that detour

That president

That

This

That

But no matter what or where or how

Yes

Yes

Yes

We can calendar

And tailor

And tuck in

And be on time

We say yes

And I do

And go team

And then go

And then go

But when do we sit

Looking straight into the

Vast or the little of the I don’t know

Before

Aw man

And oh shit

And wait what

Panic ensues

And we fall in love with the freak out

Out

Out

The pattern

And how could she

And why would he

And then what

What

What

What if

Or if

Or if

Okay calm down

Turn on the music

Have a glass of wine

And welcome this thing in

This fear

Good evening gorgeous

Greet it at the door with open eyes

Joke and give it a wink

And converse

Freely

About the tricks of the trade

And at the end of the night

You know

I know you

So

What do we have to lose

So

And so and so.


Thank you to all of the folks who listened to me go on and on the day before leaving and got me on that plane.

1 comment: